SWEDEN – Katatonia, the Swedish purveyor of dark progressive rock/metal, has released more details of its eagerly awaited 10th studio album The Fall of Hearts
, which is set for release on May 20 through Peaceville Records. View the second The Fall of Hearts
teaser video with album format details and track listing on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjQduLxALM
or Vimeo at: https://vimeo.com/158896918
Old Heart Falls [04:22]
Last Song Before the Fade [05:01]
The Night Subscriber [06:10]
Pale Flag [04:23]
Vakaren [04:54] (CD/DVD & Deluxe Edition)
Sistere [04:11] (LP & Deluxe Edition)
Wide Awake in Quietus [04:59] (Digital & Deluxe Edition)
The Fall of Hearts will be released on the following formats:
Deluxe 12″ hardbook featuring:
- 30+ page artwork book with alternative album artwork from Travis Smith.
- CD The Fall of Hearts 12 original album tracks plus two bonus tracks “Sistere” and “Vakaren.”
- DVD-V The Fall of Hearts 12 original tracks hi resolution stereo and 5.1 audio (DTS 96/24 5.1 & 96/24 Stereo LPCM) mixed by Bruce Soord.
- Special Double 10″ vinyl edition of The Fall of Hearts 12 original tracks plus bonus track “Wide Awake In Quietus” (with MP3 download code) featuring guest guitarist Paradise Lost’s Gregor Mackintosh.
2 Disc CD & DVD Mediabook featuring:
- CD The Fall of Hearts 12 original album tracks plus bonus track “Vakaren.”
- DVD-V The Fall of Hearts 12 original tracks and includes hi resolution stereo & 5.1 audio (DTS 96/24 5.1 & 96/24 Stereo LPCM) mixed by The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia collaborator Bruce Soord.
- The Fall of Hearts 12 original album tracks with a total playing time of 67:32 minutes.
Double gatefold 180g heavy weight LP featuring:
- The Fall of Hearts 12 original album tracks plus bonus track “Sistere” (with MP3 download code).
Digital download featuring:
- The Fall of Hearts 12 original album tracks plus bonus track “Wide Awake in Quietus” featuring guest guitarist Paradise Lost’s Gregor Mackintosh.
CD, LP and Deluxe Edition exclusive bundles can be pre-ordered now at: www.peaceville.com/store and http://www.omerch.eu/shop/katatonia/. A digital pre-order link will be available soon.
The official follow-up to 2012’s acclaimed Dead End Kings was recorded at Stockholm’s Studio Gröndahl and Tri-lamb Studio, and was self-produced by Katatonia’s Anders Nyström and Jonas Renkse. Mixing and mastering duties were carried out by Jens Bogren (Opeth, Ihsahn, Devin Townsend) at Fascination Street Studios, with Karl Daniel Lidén (Switchblade, The Ocean, Greenleaf) brought in as engineer.
The dramatic yet desolate artwork was created by long time Katatonia designer and illustrator Travis Smith.
The Fall of Hearts is the first record to feature new drummer Daniel ‘Mojjo’ Moilanen along with the addition of recently recruited guitarist Roger Öjersson (Tiamat), who came in just in time to sprinkle some blistering solos on the album. With its new lineup, Katatonia will continue to push its musical boundaries beyond its roots in the metal scene while drawing in new fans from across the musical spectrum like peers such as Opeth and Anathema have also done, cementing Katatonia’s place as one of the most revered and cherished of all bands in the world of modern heavy music.
Guitarist Anders Nyström commented on the addition of Roger Öjersson: “We’re delighted to welcome our neighbor Roger, a true multi-musician extraordinaire, into our spiraling ways of darkness. Currently with this five-piece, there’s nothing hold back or limiting Katatonia’s potential, neither in the studio nor on stage. Our ever growing ambition may now begin to manifest our vision.”
Formerly the lead vocalist and bassist in Swedish power trio Kamchatka and currently also the guitarist in Swedish metal band Tiamat, Öjersson joined Katatonia just in time to briefly appear on parts of the new album. Öjersson replaces Per “Sodo” Eriksson who left the band in 2014. Since that time, a couple of temporary guitarists have stepped into the fold such as Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief) and Tomas Åkvik (Nale, Lik), but Öjersson is effectively a full time member of Katatonia with his first show taking place at Karmøygeddon Metal Festival in Norway next month.
Öjersson added: “I feel honored and privileged to get to be a part of the Katatonia family. I hold these fellow musicians’ artsmanship in very high regard and I am looking forward to setting out on this journey with eager anticipation.”
Stay tuned for more information on Katatonia and The Fall of Hearts, out this spring on Peaceville.