News from Theo Travis, sax-man to prog giants like Steven Wilson, Robert Fripp and David Gilmour:
In September 2018, Soft Machine release their new studio album ‘Hidden Details’. This is the first Soft Machine album (as opposed to Soft Machine Legacy album) in 37 years – since ‘In the Land of Cockayne’. It features John Etheridge (guitar) Roy Babbington (bass) and John Marshall (drums) alongside Theo on Tenor and Soprano saxes, flute and alto flute and Fender Rhodes electric piano.
Theo has written four tunes for the album and there are arrangements of two classic Soft Machine tracks – Out Bloody Rageous (from Third) and The Man who Waved at Trains (from Bundles) . There are also various group improvisations. The music is broad ranging from psychedelia to jazz rock to free form improv’ to simple pop-ish tunes to hypnotic mood pieces …
With the release of the album the band featuring John Etheridge, Theo Travis, Roy Babbington and John Marshall will go on a Soft Machine 50 Years World Tour celebrating 50 years since the first Soft Machine album.
The various vinyl & CD editions of ‘Hidden Details’ are spelled out in Theo’s post; Sid Smith (author of the definitive King Crimson biography) has mentioned that he’s written the liner notes on his Facebook page. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if a download version of the album will show up at Soft Machine’s Bandcamp site.
North American tour dates (the band’s first since 1974, when founding organist Mike Ratledge, guitarist Allan Holdsworth and Adiemus guru Karl Jenkins were in the group) will include:
- Saturday 06 October: Orion Studios, Baltimore MD
- Sunday 07 October: Theater of the Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- Tuesday 09 October: Roxy & Duke’s Rockabilly Roadhouse, Dunellen, NJ
- Wednesday 10 October: Daryl’s House, Pawling, NY
- Friday-Sunday 12-14 October: Iridium, New York, NY (3 shows)
- Tuesday 16 October: Mod Club Theatre, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Wednesday 17 October: The Tralf, Buffalo, NY
- Thursday 18 October: Beachland Ballroom and Tavern, Cleveland, OH
- Sunday 21 October: Progtoberfest, Reggie’s Rock Club, Chicago, IL
- Monday 22 October: Shank Hall, Milwaukee, WI
- Tuesday 23 October: The Turf, St. Paul, MN
Since I’m hoping to see the band at Progtoberfest, I’ve been listening to the Softs’ original recordings recently, and am primed to dive into the Soft Machine Legacy albums of the 21st century. Watch this space for some serious Retroarchy coming soon …
— Rick Krueger